This blog on New Caledonia is for those of you who ever wondered what life on a tiny island in the South Pacific might be like. Tired of bracing winter winds, the stress of an inner city or simply dreaming of a life change? This is a blog about what happens when, in the words of Yogi Berra, "you come to a fork in the road, [and] take it".

17 November 2006

100th Post and a 40th Birthday

Here we are, 100 posts later. I started this blog upon landing here in August 2005 with the aim of sharing some of our adventures in New Caledonia - with friends and strangers both. I had had a devil of a time explaining where New Caledonia was when we learned we would be moving here. Most people thought it was in Canada. Others' eyes simply glazed over. Some asked if we had running water, electricity, hospitals and grocery stores. I hope this blog has answered some of those questions - and will continue to answer more!

I've reached my 100th post on 17 November, which is also my 40th birthday. What a thrill! I've had the most magnificent 40th birthday a person could have! On a tropical island with a wonderful husband, an amazing daughter and a hilarious son. My husband took me to Ilôt Maitre, a tiny island 25 minutes away from Nouméa by boat, for an exquisite lunch and a leisurely afternoon. Afterwards, we went to dinner (Japanese) with Sophie. It was wonderful to be out to dinner - just the three of us (Pablo stayed at home with his "Tata Gali" and slept through the whole outing). I received the most beautiful bouquet of tropical flowers from Laurent, good news about my friend Ben, a million and one wonderful birthday greetings from friends and family in France and the United States, and the most wonderful posts and e-mails about Lucie and her family.

Thanks so much to everyone - for all your wonderful words and your encouragement for my work on this blog.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Julie!!! You and Pablo look Wonderful in this photo!!!

Anonymous said...

J-
Happy Birthday!!! I know we're late, but what with Mel's b-day & work & holidays... time is passed before you know it. But we've been thinking of you & sending you (& the whole family) huge hugs!!!
We hope your year is devoon.
Tif & Alex- =)

Anonymous said...

coucou autre petit scorpion ! je suis moins bien organisée pour ces choses là depuis l'arrivée de mon petit loulou mais je viens te souhaiter si ce n'est un bon anniversaire, une superbe année 41° année. Je vois sur cette photo que tu es ravissante et que ton fils se porte très bien, ton message dit tout ce bonheur et toute cette joie et j'en suis ravie pour vous 4 !! De mon côté, malgré la joie immense qu'apporte Robin, mes 33 ans ont sonné un peu tristement et Jérémie se montre de plus en plus distant avec moi et le petit ( ??) et j'en suis toute retournée. mais je sais grâce à vous que la vie peut être différente et tellement réjouissante !! Merci pour toutes ces pages passionnantes et pleine d'énergie positive ! je vous embrasse. Une bise toute spéciale pour Sophie. à très vite,

Anonymous said...

I'm just out of five weeks of jury duty, it's so nice to see you more beautiful and happy at 40 years of old age than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Desperate for BoraBora said...

I stumbled across your blog in my desperate attempt searching the internet for a sterling silver charm of a "over the water house on stilts/bungalow". Interesting reading and being that BoraBora is at the top of my "bucket list" I am now green with envy. If you know of any local gift shop or jeweler that has these could you direct me to them at some point? I believe you can email me through this comment section...not sure never "blogged" before. Thanks for the consideration. Jenny

JHG said...

What a fabulous thing to be desperate for, "Desperate". Good luck in your search!

Julie