This blog on New Caledonia is for those of you who ever wondered what life on a tiny island in the South Pacific might be like. Tired of bracing winter winds, the stress of an inner city or simply dreaming of a life change? This is a blog about what happens when, in the words of Yogi Berra, "you come to a fork in the road, [and] take it".

16 February 2006

Arrival at Amédée Lighthouse

Hard to tell from here, perhaps, but the waters around this islet are transparent and heavenly. I had seen photos of Phare Amédée (Amédée Lighthouse) while still in Paris, and I am embarrassed to admit that as the photos had been labeled "New Caledonia", I suffered a few moments of heart-stopping panic. New Caledonia is that small? Oh my goodness! I'd read that we could drive around it in a weekend (it's 400 km long and 50 km wide), but the photos made it look tiny! And wasn't New Caledonia the last place to give up cannibalism? Where will I hide if push comes to shove? Yes, I am ridiculous. Amédée Islet is about 30 minutes away from Nouméa (New Caledonia's capital) by boat, and is but an islet. It takes 20 minutes to walk around it. There are no cannibals.
More on a day at Phare Amédee. / Photo by Laurent Guiader, 2006.

No comments: